Setting Bookmark via Highliting and Triggers

Jul 31, 2012 at 8:36 AM

I'm not getting a bookmark via the highlighting and triggers to work. Colouring works fine. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Same rule that works with text and background colours does not set the bookmark. Commenting the bookmark makes no difference.

Any Idea?

Coordinator
Jul 31, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Setting bookmarks (as well as all the other action triggers) works only for the lines of the file that are appended while the file is opened in LogExpert.

This is for performance reasons (loading files would be too slow).  May be one day I add a button to force this actions on existing file content manually. But currently you can only work around by using the filter (you can set bookmarks for filter hits).

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Ok. Thanks.

Aug 8, 2012 at 1:30 PM

I think I asked this already in anther thread but this is really something that would help me.

Having a button to do this (or having a thread doing it asynchronously) would be soooooo cool.

I install every alpha release hoping that this is done.

If I could set highlight rules setting bookmarks, I could educate support staff to read logs without me being there going through the logs with them.

Could you set such a button please ? I can play your beta tester anytime.

I use your tool daily and LOVE it. It is a bit slow to open huge files (listed in your roadmap) or to scroll (listed in the roadmap as well : gridview).

I'm ready to pay for it if it helps.

Thanks A LOT for keeping this unique tool alive,

Pierre

Dec 13, 2012 at 12:36 PM

I would really love to have a button like that also, or to be able to set the default behavior (apply bookmarks on entire file or only on new lines appended).

If you want to find bugs in your program it helps to bookmark important log events, so if someone sends you a log with the error, you open the log and already have important bookmarks to help you easily navigate. 

Another nice feature would be if the text of the bookmark could somehow be dynamically computed based on the content of the line that matched.
For example, if your log line contained the words "job 5123" the bookmark generated could be something like
"Sending job to remote host, job id is <%R>"
and <%R> be replaced by the regular expression that caused the trigger to occur (aka "job 5123").