CSV Timestamp

Aug 10, 2012 at 11:01 AM

According to the documentation it suggests that the CSV columnizer supports Timeshift. Naming a column "Timestamp" makes it disappear but it seems that Timeshift still doesn't work.

The same question may be asked for XML format.

Also the link to the SDK seems broken.

Coordinator
Aug 10, 2012 at 11:09 AM

CSV columnizer does not support timeshift. You can see this in the Columnizer chooser dialog (after the description text of the columnizer).

Aug 10, 2012 at 11:20 AM
Edited Aug 10, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Thank you. It's a pity as the Timestamp columnizer gives me a memory issue. I could send  you the log privately.

I tried the Common Log Format but it fails even with Wikipedia example:

127.0.0.1 RFC 1413 frank [10/Oct/2000:13:55:36 -0700] "GET /apache_pb.gif HTTP/1.0" 200 2326

Any idea?

Aug 10, 2012 at 12:07 PM

I found the 1.5 alpha doesn't have that memory issue.

Coordinator
Aug 10, 2012 at 12:19 PM

The CLF Columnizer is not very serious. It uses stupid RegEx and fails if something is unexpected. A line like this works:

127.0.0.1 - frank [10/Oct/2000:13:55:36 -0700] "GET /apache_pb.gif HTTP/1.0" 200 2326 "www.referrer.com/refpage.html" "myBroswer1.0 (lynx compatible) VxWorks"

I grabbed this format some years ago from a web site which declared this as CLF. But it seems that this is not exactly true. :)

Regarding SDK link:

Since LogExpert is ope source I do not release a separate SDK anymore. All the SDK stuff can be downloaded with the sources.

Coordinator
Aug 10, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Yeah, maybe that the memory issue is fixed in 1.5.

I remember that I fixed something in the time spread display code. But I cannot remember what it was.

Aug 12, 2012 at 12:58 AM

I believe a RegEx columnizer supporting Timeshift would be awesome as it would superseed the CSV and Timestamp columizer and more.

If the SDK is in the source code, which I personally find quiet troublesome here compare to places like Git (anyway...), would you mind updating the help documentation? I woudn't mind creating a columizer and possibly submitting it to you (if there's such thing supported here).

Last, but not least, I believe the bookmark doesn't work in 1.5:

1. Open a file
  2. Use Timestamp columizer
  3. Setup Highlight to that colours and bookmarks some Regex
  4. Note that colour works but no bookmark is set
Coordinator
Aug 17, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Wrt bookmarks see http://logexpert.codeplex.com/discussions/389670

I think a general RegEx columnizer cannot replace all other columnizers. Also you have to configure it for every file type. Currently there's no way to store columnizer config presets. Also RegEx ist not very fast.

CSV is a different story. The first line in a CSV file contains column names. So there's a different handling of columns (dynamic instead of fixed). And the columnizer has to drop the first line from the 'content' to prevent it from being displayed in the log view.

The help files in the SDK folder (SDK.chm and LogExpert-API.chm) are up to date (at least regarding the columnizer stuff). Why do you ask for an update? Do you miss something in the docs?

Coordinator
Aug 17, 2012 at 8:37 AM

BTW: There's a generic RegEx columnizer contributed by Eric Meltzer. This regex columnizer is capable of parsing time stamps. But it's not easy to configure (premium RegEx skills required ;) )

The columnizer was linked in the old discussion board at log-expert.de. I cannot remember if the source was attached too. I have the binary here. I will it upload it to a server and put the link here. I don't know if I have permissions to put it in the releases.

There's also another generic columnizer here: http://www.toolhouse-westware.de/projects.htm. This one is based on fixed column lengths. Can also be used as a template for creating own columnizers.

Aug 22, 2012 at 4:47 PM

I'd love to see the generic RegEx columnizer if Eric will allow it!

Coordinator
Aug 22, 2012 at 5:23 PM
Edited Aug 22, 2012 at 5:24 PM

I linked all known 3rd party columnizer here:

http://logexpert.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Columnizers

Coordinator
Aug 24, 2012 at 8:34 AM

I added the source code of the RegexColumnizer to the Columnizer page. I got permissions from Eric for that. I also added a small configuration example.