.NET 4.5 Version of Log Expert?

Nov 19, 2012 at 9:25 PM

I upgraded to Windows 8 recently.  Windows 8 comes with .NET 4.5 already installed, and it seems like running Log Expert requires the user to download and install .NET 2.0

To save everyone upgrading to Windows 8 this trouble, is it possible to provide an updated build that is compiled for the latest version of .NET? Thanks!

Nov 19, 2012 at 9:31 PM

In the mean time, here is how to get the required version of .NET on your machine (Windows 8)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/hh506443(v=VS.110).aspx

Coordinator
Nov 19, 2012 at 10:23 PM

I am using Visual Studio 2008 (Standard edition) so I can only provide builds up to .NET 3.5. The future builds of LogExpert (in v 1.5 version branch) will require .NET 3.5. May be the 3.5 runtime is still available in W8 w/o separate install (can you verify this anyhow?).

Btw:
Microsoft has raised the price for Visual Studio A FUCKING LOT (because there's no Standard edition anymore and there's NO UPGRADE path from 2008). Since LogExpert is just a private hobby, I don't want to pay > 600€ for a new VS license. So VS 2008 seems to be the last version I will ever use. And if this version does not fit any future requirements I will drop LogExpert development completely. And no, I will not use the Express Editions. They are crap, compared to any other modern developments systems today. Also the Express Editions cannot be used with ReSharper. ReSharper is a must have for serious work.

Sorry for that offtopic stuff... ;)

Nov 20, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Here are my observations:

1. .NET 4.5 is included by default in the operating system
  2. When running Log Expert executable for the first time, the operating system prompts us to download and install .NET 3.5
  3. Once this is done, the application works quite well.  But there is no way to proceed without installation of .NET 3.5
  4. Another option is to install .NET 3.5 from "Add/Remove Windows Components", however this also involves a download from Windows Update. (Details are in the link above)

Sorry to hear about your Visual Studio woes.  I have the latest VS, and I'd be glad to help out if you really want a 4.5 version.  Cheers!

Jan 14, 2016 at 8:08 PM
How about now that community edition is free? I've had issues installing .NET 3.5/2.0 on Windows Server 2012 R2 and it doesn't happen automatically.
Developer
Jan 18, 2016 at 10:25 AM
Edited Jan 18, 2016 at 10:28 AM
Hi,

you could change the LogExpert.exe.config content to following as workaround
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<configuration>
  <startup useLegacyV2RuntimeActivationPolicy="true">
    <supportedRuntime version="v4.0" sku=".NETFramework,Version=v4.0" />
  </startup>
</configuration>
this should do the trick, hope so ;)

Please send a short note if this change works for you

Greetings
Zarunbal
Developer
Feb 11, 2016 at 9:15 PM
Released next Alpha with a NET 4.0 Build.

Greetings
Zarunbal