Filtering on multiple logfiles displayed in 1 tab

Nov 26, 2012 at 7:47 AM

Sometimes I'm looking @multiple logfiles (>15) and I'm wondering if it's possible to set a filter on all those logfiles (tabs) that outputs the wanted information of all those different files to 1 new tab? The files have the same names so I can't use MultiFile.
Now I only see a few tabs and have to check each tab if there are filterresults. It would be handy to have 1 central tab with alle the wanted information.

Otherwise this is a GREAT program

Coordinator
Nov 26, 2012 at 5:23 PM

AFAIK this was already requested before (maybe in the old forum - RIP). This is actually a nice idea.

But there would also be a drawback: The merged filter results may be slightly out of order if changes are detected for multiple files at nearly same time.

Example:

File A gets a line added at time 12:00:00.300
File B gets a line added at time 12:00:00.340

LogExpert polls with a default interval of 250ms with separate timers for each file. Let's assume that LogExpert checks file B at 12:00:00.350 and file A at 12:00:00.370. Then the filter result tab would show file B's line for 12:00:00.340 before file A's line for 12:00:00.300

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Hey HagenRaab,

Thanks for the reaction and It's possible that I've already asked this question (in the old forum) because I use LogExpert all the time for 1 or 2 files but sometimes (like now) I'm looking @ 15 files and in this case this functionality would be handy.

For me the sequence of the lines in this general tab is not so important.

It's just to know that there are new lines (In my case only errors are logged in the files) and from what tab that line came from.

This would be much easier then to always have to look @the files itself (because you can only see the first 7 tabs without clicking on the arrow to see the other files).

If this would be possible that would be GREAT (for me) but if I am the only one that likes this don't worry about it, LogExpert is already a GREAT tool!

Dec 12, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Multilogs in one tab would also be my next killer feature. I recall similar requests in the old forum.

To summarize -

1) live tailing of logs from multiple apps filtering into one tab. (So for example I could monitor multiple applications filtering only on FATAL events.)

2) Alternatively, if the live tailing were infeasible, the ability to drop log files from multiple apps into a single tab and have LE sort by timestamp would be great.

My current workaround is to use a command line program to merge and sort all the logs before I drop the result into LogExpert. But you can see how that takes more effort that dropping in LE or live tailing by LE.

Regards,