This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Regular expression based columnizer?

Feb 25, 2015 at 8:57 PM
I have been using baretail pro for many years and just discovered Log Expert. I'm amazed at how close the functionality is (with many extras as well). The one thing that I am missing is the ability to search the log file using regular expressions and then follow the results displaying each grouped sub-expression as a separate column. For example, I can enter "(^.*):.*(Host [0-9]+):" and it will filter the file to lines that match the pattern and then display column zero which is everything up to the first ":" and column 1 which is "Host " followed by a number. It's great for free-formatted log files wherein you can create ad-hoc search patterns. Baretail is an amazing tool but has not been updated since 2006 and is not supported as far as I can tell so I've been looking for a replacement for it. Is there a way to do what I would like or do I need to take a look at implementing my own plugins?
Feb 26, 2015 at 5:52 PM
Actually, I found the post regarding the RegExColumnizer which gets me quite a bit of what I'm looking for. I was able to use the regular expressions that I use for BareTail with minimal tweaks. I sped it up significantly by modifying the code to compile the regular expressions. However, what I really need is to look at the raw log file in the main tail panel and just apply the columnizer in the search panel. Anybody have any suggestions?