LogExpert is a Windows tail program (a GUI replacement for the Unix tail command).
Summary of features:
- Tail mode
- MDI-Interface with Tabs
- Search function (including RegEx)
- A very flexible filter view
- Highlighting lines via search criteria
- Columnizers: This means splitting log lines into columns for some well defined logfile formats
- Unicode support
- log4j XML file support
- 3rd party plugin support
- SFTP support (loading files directly from SFTP)
- Plugin API for more log file data sources
Building the sources
You need Visual Studio 2008 (maybe 2005 works as well). LogExpert is written in C# and needs .NET 2.0.
- Check out the source (SVN)
- Open LogExpert.sln in the LogExpert sub folder
- Press F6 :) It should compile out of the box
- Compiled application and all plugins will be compiled to bin/Debug or bin/Release. There's no build script or deployment yet. Just copy the needed stuff.
I made the whole project using Visual Studio 2008 Standard Edition. The express editions may also work, but I haven't tried yet.
3rd Party dependencies
- All dependency DLLs for LogExpert core functions are located in the lib folder. A text file with URLs and license info is also located in the folder.
- For the NUnit tests you need a NUnit runtime environment
- The CSV-Columnizer uses a CSV reader from http://www.codeproject.com/KB/database/CsvReader.aspx
- MDI Tab Control is included as source code, because I made some minor changes. It's a Visual Basic project.
- SDK for columnizer and plugin development is located in the sub folder SDK
- The SDK contains a general help file (created with HelpSmith) and an API doc created with NDoc
Where to start?